In Atlanta, the Pittman name is synonymous with high-quality road-building and surface construction.
Nearly a quarter into its second century of business, Pittman Construction Company boasts a tenure no other construction company in Atlanta can rival. The contributions of four generations of Pittman Construction have helped to shape the landscape of Atlanta and Georgia. These contributions include massive structures and miles of street and interstate construction including Interstate 285/20 East Interchange, Interstate 285, Interstate 75/85, State Highway 92, and State Highway 317.
The year 1884 marks the initiation of the Pittman family legacy in Atlanta when Frank A. Pittman began transforming the face of Atlanta through residential construction.
As the successes in residential construction grew, Mr. Pittman began construction on larger commercial projects. Among the many notable achievements is the construction of Peachtree Christian Church. In 1916, the company became know as Pittman Construction, and two years later had the distinct honor of being the first contractor to pour concrete pavement in the city of Atlanta.
In 1920, Pittman Construction witnessed its second generation of ownership as Frank A. Pittman handed over the authority of the family business to his five sons.
Lead by Louie A. Pittman Sr., the company shifted emphasis to highway construction as road building became more prominent in the Southeast. At the outset, the company constructed roads made primarily of cobblestone and brick, then broadened in its success to include concrete paving. With America’s involvement in World War II the need for construction to aid the war effort became paramount. Pittman Construction was at the forefront, contributing to the construction of airports and U.S. Army bases throughout the Southeast.
Following a brief lapse, the Pittman name resurfaced to continue in the reputation of outstanding service to the Atlanta landscape.
In 1958, Louie A. Pittman Jr. and his uncle, Oscar Pittman, began work focusing on minor concrete structures and concrete flatwork resulting in numerous curbs, sidewalks, and other structural projects throughout Atlanta. During the late 1960s, the scope of their operations increased with the addition of grading and drainage; and by 1970 Pittman was awarded its first Georgia Department of Transportation project as a prime contractor. As the Pittman standard for excellence and quality continued to flourish, new services were again added to the repertoire in 1980 to include asphalt paving. On the first day of the year in 1984, the company name changed to what we know today as Pittman Construction Company.
In 2003, Arnie Pittman assumed the presidency of Pittman Construction, becoming the fourth generation of the Pittman family to lead the company forward.
Arnie Pittman was brought into the company as a teenager, graduated from Furman University, and is currently leading the company in dynamic progress. Jennifer Pittman-Cantrell, Louie Pittman’s daughter, and a graduate of Clemson University, serves as Corporate Secretary.